Monday, November 4, 2013

What's for dinner? Veggie Casserole!

Veggie Casserole
4 cups cooked brown rice (use beef broth instead of water)
1 bag frozen cauliflower
1 bag frozen broccoli
1 bag frozen whatever veggie you want! (I get a corn, green bean, and pea mix.)
Cheddar cheese

Make the rice using beef broth, mix rice and all veggies into a large casserole dish, shred some cheese on top, and cook until cheese is melted and dish is hot.

This is really more of a side, but I like to just eat a big bowl of it. It also makes for great left overs for lunch or dinner the next day.

Comments on the level of healthiness of this dish:
1) Brown rice is better then processed white rice
2) Use low sodium beef broth
3) Thou shalt not eat canned vegetables.
4) Nix the cheese if need be. It's still a nice hot, filling dish!
5) Watching carbs? Use less rice, or substitute quinoa. I just personally like rice better, and it's cheaper.
6) Notice this doesn't have any meat in it. I love meat, but our perception of the actual amount of protein we need is way out of proportion. We (as in Seth and I...mostly I) have found that, in general, we just feel better by eating less meat. About a year ago we made the decision to only eat organic meat, and it is EXPENSIVE, so rather then compromise on the quality of the meat, we just eat less of it. As a result, I really feel a difference now that we're eating less meat and only organic. Not to mention if I eat a large portion of red meat or non-organic, I typically don't feel that great. I am a proponent of organic produce too, but I also realize that the cost associated with that so we just do what we can.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment