Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Retiring from the ER and Running

Well I finished my emergency medicine rotation last week and the final verdict is: the ER is not the place for me, and this decision really comes back to one of the many reasons why I chose to become a physician assistant rather then pursue medical school. One word: lifestyle. I decided I wanted a career where I could come home to Seth every night, I don't want to be on call all the time, I DID NOT want to go through 4 more years of school, and *gulp* here come's the 'k' word: kids. I don't foresee myself being a full time stay at home mom, but it really didn't make sense to me to go all the way through medical school and residency and then not really use all my training because I want to be at home with our kids more. So anyways, in the emergency room I wasn't even on a terrible shift (2pm-12am), but I never saw Seth except when I got home around 1am and went to sleep where he was already in bed. People in the ER complained (rightfully so) about the tough life/work balance, feeling as if they were neglecting their families, etc. So all I have to say is no thank you! I admire those who sacrifice their time to work in the emergency room, but I am selfish and want more time for me and Seth. :)

Other eventful things over the past couple weeks: Seth and I ran our half marathon last Saturday! In hindsight, the actual event wasn't difficult but the training was very difficult mentally. We trained for about 13 weeks, 4-5 days/week. I cannot think of a single training run where I thought 'YAAA! WOO! I get to go for a run today!" That definitely never happened. It was mentally difficult to force my butt to get out there, especially back in August and September when I had to run at 5:30-6am when it was 'only' 65-70 degrees out, because there was no way I'd survive in the 80s or 90s of the afternoon. And if I didn't run, all I thought about all day was the fact I needed to run. Not to mention the mental hurdles of adding distance along the way.

The half marathon was fun though. It's a pretty difficult route, basically weaving around every conceivable hill Roanoke has to offer. Good grief! It was amazing to see people of all ages, shapes, and sizes just running/jogging/walking along to reach this ridiculous goal of 13.1 miles. Kudos to marathoners, because at the end of the race I probably couldn't have ran another 100 feet let alone another 13.1 miles. But Seth and I both achieved our goals. I just wanted to stay under a 10min/mile pace and Seth wanted to be around an 8:50 min/mile pace. Now that this is all said and done, I don't really have any interest in doing another one or keeping up running. It was a bucket list item, and now I know I can do it, but I just genuinely don't love to run. I actually don't like working out at all. I like activities. I love mountain biking, kayaking, and hiking. I don't love going to the gym, but I do love being healthy and in shape so it is a necessary evil I suppose.

Also, my dad was here all week and rode my bike around the whole time the half marathon was happening to give Seth and I big yells and high 5's of encouragement along the way. :) That was the best. I can only hope my kids admire and love Seth and I as much as I love and admire my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment